The Barefoot Photographer®

a photography blog

Friday, December 5, 2008

Southeastern Flower Show


A few weeks ago I sent in my entries for the photography exhibition at the Southeastern Flower Show. The show will be January 28 through February 1 at the Cobb Galleria Centre (I can never figure why someone decides to write center as centre -- ??? oh well). Here is the website for more info and directions http://www.flowershow.org.

Three days ago I went to the mail box and found a big envelope addressed to me. I love getting mail so I got excited when I saw it -- then I recognized the writing -- it was mine! This was my self-addressed, stamped envelope to return my prints to me and the information of acceptance or decline. As soon as I figured out what it was -- I got nervous. I sent a few really good images in to the jury -- but you never know what a juror is looking for or will like. I had a favorite in the bunch and thought if any photo would make it into the show -- that one would. Well, it didn't. The one that did make it in was a good one, always a favorite of mine, and a friend recently said she liked it -- so I gave a print to her. She was really the one to urge me to send it in as a submission. So I did -- and now I am glad I listened to her!

The photo on the blog is the one that made it in. I took this photo with my old Fuji S7000 super zoom camera. That camera was always a good one -- and I haven't used it in a long time. It is defintely an oldie but goodie.

The Fuji S7000 was the camera that really started me on my way to taking photos for more than just fun. This camera was the first one I had with the "super macro mode." This mode allows the photographer to come as close to the subject as 1cm. The camera was announced July 2003. It is not small, not light, and not an SLR -- but it is really a great camera to have. It was the third digital camera I ever had. It also set the standard for my next camera. After using that super macro mode -- I knew the next camera I bought would have to have the same thing (and that little Canon S2 IS does).

By having the option to get so close, you can really create a unique photo. One thing to remember about coming in close is that you are blocking out most of the light and being that close there is no way a flash will do anything for a photo (if you have to use flash -- which I try to avoid if I can). One of my favorite things to do with the super macro mode cameras is to use the sun as a backlight. I have pushed the lens up into a flower with the bright sun hitting the backside of the flower. The hot sun (hot like is super bright -- not necessarily heat hot -- but you know it is hot both ways) really lights of the inside of the flower from the outside.

This white rose is no longer in my yard. The tree rose died but the gorgeous photo of the bloom lives on. I remember the day I took the photo -- it was very bright -- not a good day for much -- unless I was pushing the lens into things. I put the lens into the bloom and snapped away. The sunlight litting the back of the white bloom was plenty of light. The petals barely appear - as if they are afterthoughts. The filaments of the flower look like a collection of snakes wrapping around each other trying to get to the surface. The anthers almost look like little coffee beans floating around.

The original photo -- as will all of my black and white images -- was color. There was not a lot of color to it anyway. The very center of the bloom had a blush of gold to it and the anthers were more brown than black. This photo, to me, is much more dramatic in black and white.

I have always liked it -- I am glad to know a few jurors agree with me.

No comments:

Blog Top Sites

Arts Blogs