The Barefoot Photographer®

a photography blog

Monday, October 7, 2013

The Apparition

Identical exposures without moving an inch, yet there is something very different from one frame to the other. On January 13, 2013 I was with a small group shooting in the old elementary school in Zebulon, Georgia. I had been in the school before.

On one previous occasion, I heard footsteps in the auditorium. The only other person in the building at the time was standing next to me.

I asked her, "Did you hear footsteps?" 

She replied, "Yes." 

Then we both walked to the other side of the building.

I have heard stories about 'activity' in the school. I admit that I am somewhat skeptical of these things -- thinking maybe there is something to it -- but usually there is a good explanation of the noise, light, etc. The sound of the footsteps made me think the stories of the school were true. The shots I took on January 13 reinforce this feeling.

Usually I don't give out boring details like shutter speed, fstop, etc. but in the spirit of openness and to show how identical these images should have been - here it is: 25 sec. exposure, f5.6, ISO 160, focal length of my lens 17mm -- for both images. 

This image was shot at 1:36:15pm:

This image was shot at 1:37:28pm:

It appears a little bit brighter -- but the big difference is the streak of light across the middle of the frame. 

I printed this today and framed it for a show at A Novel Experience in Zebulon, Georgia; The Ghost Show. This show will be up at the end of October and the reception is November 2, 6:30pm.  Come see the "Schoolroom Specter" in person.

No comments:

Blog Top Sites

Arts Blogs