The Barefoot Photographer®

a photography blog

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Where the Water Used To Be


One morning, instead of my usual morning walk along the cart paths of Peachtree City, I ventured into the grasses that took advantage of a drained Lake Peachtree. As I walked along the makeshift cart path, disappearing more and more into the overgrowth, spider webs clung to my camera as I held it in front of me, so many webs collected that mosquitoes became entangled. Waist deep in the blades, I heard a splash and for a moment wondered if the rumors of an alligator in Lake Peachtree could be true. 

There is one week left to visit the exhibition of my Morning Walk images at Columbus State University's Rankin Arts Photography Center in Columbus, Georgia. I will be onsite next Saturday morning, packing it up, and would be happy to talk to anyone wishing to drop by.

A sub-series of the exhibit is Where the Water Used To Be -- a look at Lake Peachtree, drained. It has been almost two years since the lake was drained to facilitate dock repairs only to find the dam had serious issues. The resulting quagmire of bureaucratic finger pointing created a slow resolution to any issues -- and the lake is still near the lowest, but filled with vegetation and wildlife. Just this week I arrived at what was once the boat ramp to watch as two young deer frolicked a few hundred feet away, almost hidden in the early morning mist. A blue heron stood by, ankle deep in a small rivulet, searching for any fish to be found. These animals were shielded and felt they had sufficient cover due to the tall grasses surrounding them.

 

Photos on the blog today are from the selection on exhibit. They show things that used to be underwater. All of these images were taken by me standing where the water used to be.


Work is ongoing to prepare the lake for refilling. In the distance backhoes and excavators can be seen dredging a channel. 


A few of these images were previewed at Peachtree City Library earlier this summer. 



No comments:

Blog Top Sites

Arts Blogs