The Barefoot Photographer®

a photography blog

Monday, February 21, 2011

Hanging with Mr. Bennette

About this time last year I accepted a task -- something that sounded simple -- and was not too challenging.  I was to become the local contact/point person/assistant to John Bennette as he planned and prepared his show, "Southern Memories."  I was thrilled to learn that he wanted some of my photos in the show and it was a great opportunity to get to know him better; working with him on the show.  This man has a wicked sense of humor.
Mr. Bennette putting finishing touches on prior to opening reception.
He and I worked with photographers from all over getting work shipped in on time. I made sure all the photographs were at the barn and unpackaged prior to his arrival.  We spent about two and a half days turning the barn into something special. The show was awesome and was written about by Elisabeth Biondi on The New Yorker's photography blog.  Recently on the same New Yorker photography blog she wrote about The Projectionist by Kendall Messick.  Kendall was part of the show in the barn.  Another photographer in the show was Jessica Hines.  She has had many great things happen with her series, My Brother's War.  It was awesome to meet her during our event.  

There were many great photographers in that barn for the opening reception that Friday night.  I remember watching and talking with Jack Spencer as he photographed the walls inside the barn to use for texture.  He mentioned that he had not photographed much lately, but during his stay in Georgia during the Slow Exposures events, he had become inspired.

I remember my first Slow Exposures -- 2008 -- and it was my first juried photography event I ever entered. Two of my photos made it into the show.  It was then I met John Bennette the first time.  He liked one of my photos and chose it to become part of the permanent collection.  He asked me for a card.  When I came back from retrieving one from my car I almost tripped with excitement.  A few months ago I set up a blog for John.  I gave the blog the title I had been saving for this post to my own blog.  There is a link on my blog side bar for hanging with mrbennette.  He wanted it that way -- no caps and no punctuation.  He writes an interesting blog and puts up some great photos.


1 comment:

greg blair said...

that's what is all about.
love it!
gb

Blog Top Sites

Arts Blogs