The Barefoot Photographer®

a photography blog

Monday, May 9, 2011

Spontaneity

I used to be a great speller -- even at one point winning a spelling contest in school -- but no more.  The spell check tool was my downfall and I began to rely on it to the point of doubting my instinct on the correct spelling of a word.  My blog title today "Spontaneity" was a word I was unsure of -- so much so that I Googled it to check the spelling.  In doing so, I found this interesting quote, attributed to no one, that sums up my photography style for the most part.


"Spontaneity is the quality of being able to do something just because you feel like it at the moment, of trusting your instincts, of taking yourself by surprise and snatching from the clutches of your well-organized routine, a bit of unscheduled plea."

When I look back through photos, the ones that I like the most are those where I saw and shot.  Having a camera with me and not over thinking it too much pays off for me every time.  And yes, there are those shots that I did not take and I do regret them.  I know if I had -- I would like them and they would be in that pack of favorites.  

Are they favorites just because the photo is good and I like it?  I wonder if part of the appeal is that they remind me to be spontaneous.  They show me that taking the chance pays off.  Those photos are artifacts attesting to the joy of chance.  Maybe chance is too loose.  Not so much complete chance -- but the 'go with your gut' feeling and the thrill to see that instincts are to be trusted.

As Billy Joel would say, "Don't wait for answers.  Just take your chances.  Don't ask me why."

No comments:

Blog Top Sites

Arts Blogs