The Barefoot Photographer®

a photography blog

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Patience

This morning I was walking the dog. I had been trying to think of a good blog topic and had hit a dry spell. While we were walking I was clearing my head to think of something and Sadie gave me an idea.

She was being very impatient this morning on our usual walk. She was pulling on the leash and I kept telling her to slow down.

Slow down was it. Just as the dog needs to slow down to enjoy our walk -- when you are out shooting photos you need to take your time and slow down.

How many times has an opportunity for a great photo presented itself to you and you rush it. When you rush, you can end up not getting a good shot. Many times I will see something only to blow it. Knowing that you have a certain amount of time to catch something can make all of us rush the shot or just not think it through to get the best that we could do. Rushing can also make you not have the steadiest of hands when you really need them.

Take your time. Stop -- don't feel like you are in a rush. One thing I like to do is make myself take a deep breath and just relax about 10 seconds before I start shooting.


Photobucket

1 comment:

Vagabonde said...

This is so true, but in the heat of the moment sometimes it is hard to remember to slow down,. I have taken some silly pictures like having my husband with a branch on top of his head or taking an animal, but not the whole animal, etc. I have to remember this and it is good that you talked about it. On some occasions, it is hard – for example when we went to the Denali park in Alaska we sat in the very back of a long bus. The driver would say “you can get out for 3 minutes to take a picture” and by the time we walked out (as we had to wait for everyone to get off the bus) most of the people were coming back so I always rushed. It was so frustrating.

Blog Top Sites

Arts Blogs