The Barefoot Photographer®

a photography blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

In the Woods...

A few days ago I walked around the edge of the woods with Sadie. I cannot take photos while I have her with me on the leash. This day -- when walking Sadie -- I spotted a pretty, little, bright blue flower at the edge of the trees. After taking her back to the house and grabbing the camera -- I returned.

The little blue flower was blooming at the end of what looked like flat grass -- about 12 inches in length. After looking it up in my field guide, I find this to be Pointed Blue-Eyed Grass, AKA; Blue Star, or Eye Bright. It is a member of the Iris family. The grass like plant part did resemble the green part of an Iris -- but much smaller. The flower is only about 3/4" in diameter.


Also, I was checking out the wild cherry trees that bloom all along the edge of the woods. In the spring the trees are full of very fragrant, pale-pink blooms. In early to mid June the fruit ripens to a deep plum-red. These are small cherries, about the size of my pinky nail. I have been looking up wild cherry varieties to see what they are exactly. I am thinking they are a pin or fire cherry. Not many of the cherries are left -- the birds, squirrels, and chipmunks have been dining on fruit. As soon as these are gone, the blackberries will be ripening.


Also on this short photo walk I took this photo of the tip of a pine branch. I really like the abstractness of this photo.


The photos on the blog today were all taken with the 50mm 1.4 attached to an extension tube to get extra close to the subjects.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Donna Rosser said...

Someone just commented on the pine photo on Flickr -- there is a caterpillar in that photo. I had not noticed it before! I tell you -- there are bugs in almost all of my photos and I usually find them after I print the photo!

Blog Top Sites

Arts Blogs