The Barefoot Photographer®

a photography blog

Monday, June 8, 2009

Spinach Lasagna

I am reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It is a very interesting book. And it is funny, it is kind of how I remember eating as a child. Both sets of my grandparents had gardens and would can vegetables and fruits for use in the winter. You ate what was in season -- and it was good! I remember visiting a hen house to get eggs. (I also have a memory of a chicken, minus a head, running across the side yard.) My granddady had hogs that became bacon, he fished, and he hunted deer to fill the freezer. Much of what was consumed in their homes was very local. Having vegetables out of season is something that I don't remember much about until recently.


You might think what does this have to do with photography? Well, so far, not much. But I have been looking at a variety of blogs lately -- many (even the photography blogs) feature a lot of food. I admit I like to read cookbooks like a novel and the more pictures -- the better. These blogs with luscious photos of the food -- many are showing the steps as you go as well as the finished dish -- are very enticing. They make me want to cook the dish -- but they also make me want to keep my camera handy in the kitchen.


Tonight we had spinach lasagna. The recipe was very simple, few ingredients, and delicious! I found the recipe on the website for Animal, Vegetable, Miracle a couple days ago. I like veggie lasagna but have a hard time finding some I really like, if you know what I mean. This is something I will make again. And -- it made for some nice photos.




Photobucket

No comments:

Blog Top Sites

Arts Blogs