The Barefoot Photographer®

a photography blog

Friday, June 19, 2009

Vintage Photo Friday


This past week there were a couple birthdays in my family. One member is no longer with us. My great grandmother pictured in the photo (with me on her lap) was born in 1888. We all called her Mammy, my granddaddy called her "Old Edith."

When I was a little girl I would spend time at her house with my grandmother. My great grandmother was known for her needlework. She crocheted and hand quilted. In the early 1970's her cathedral window quilts fetched over $200. I have one of those quilts and I have a few afghans she crocheted. Two of those afghans are a rose pattern. One has a red rose center in each square and the other has a yellow rose. The backgrounds in the afghans are green and white. Somewhere in my house I have a basket made from bread wrappers (Wonder Bread most likely) -- they were crocheted to make the basket. I believe she made a lot of things from other things -- she was reusing, repurposing, and being green!

She had a large organ in her living room. There were two small wooden canes always by her fireplace. I used to play with them when I was at her house. Those little canes are by my fireplace in my home now.

Photobucket

No comments:

Blog Top Sites

Arts Blogs